Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Plum Cake | Two Ways


I recently decided to try and come up with a recipe for vegan plum cake. My mom makes a version of this dessert about once a year and I love it, but wanted to come up with a vegan-friendly version. I was very happy with the results!

I made the first version with whole wheat flour.  I aimed to make the second version gluten free, but I ran out of gf flour so it ended up being almost gluten free. For this version, I used half almond flour, 1/4 gluten free flour (I love Thomas Keller's cup 4 cup) and for the last 1/4, I used regular flour, simply because I ran out of other ingredients. I baked both of the cakes in a cast-iron skillet.



You'll need

A cast-iron skillet (I used a full-size, but if you have the smaller version, you can cut this recipe in half)

2 cups of flour
1 stick of earth balance (8 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
coarse sea salt
1 1/2 cups of sugar + my plums were a little sour so I cut them up soaked them in some sugar before placing them in the cake.
A little powdered sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)
2 flax eggs (1 tablespoon flax seed + 2 tablespoons water, mix together and let sit)
1 cup of non-dairy milk + 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar mixed in (let sit a little, it will thicken)
Plums (I used about five, but the more the merrier)


For my attempted gluten free version, I used 1 cup almond flour, 1/2 cup gluten-free flour, and 1/2 cup regular flour. I found that this version was much more wet after I was done mixing, so I added some extra almond flour until it looked more like batter. It also needed to be baked longer than my whole wheat version (about 15 minutes longer, depending on your oven).

Watch the video of me baking the cakes here. This recipe is very easy and requires just one bowl, so clean-up is easy-peasy too.











No comments:

Post a Comment